Cathay Pacific SWOT Analysis
Cathay pacific is among the exalted names of airlines with an expanded network serving in thirty six countries , five continents and has one hundred and fifteen destinations which include Europe , North America , London, Los Angeles ,China ,Paris ,Singapore and many more.
• International services in Nagoya, Fukuoka and Osaka in Japan were first introduced by Cathay pacific.
• Cathay pacific offers its passengers the opportunity to travel in a class of their own attitude by introducing various classes such as first class, business class, premium etc.
• It stands as the first one to introduce e-air way bill system. This improvement removes the lethargic method of paper documents previously used to issue airway bills.
• It is renowned in providing plush journey thick with luxuries like lie-flat seats (aided with private closet, message function and ottoman for commodities) ,burning meals, appetizing beverages; perfumed towels variety of magazines and newspapers, radio channels, personal TV’s offering latest movies, music games, audio video on demand and many more (Akkermans & Leung, 2009).
• One of its foremost service was he introduction of dubbed CX Mobile for its passengers to give them updates about flight arrivals and departures , info about their flights their destinations .
• Cathay pacific is honored with a range of awards which include world’s third largest airline in terms of market capitalization by International Air Transport Association., Airline of the Year Award by Sky TRAX IN 2009, World Travel Awards and Official Airline Guide Awards.
• It suffered largely from financial crises due to flawed strategy of locking in fuel prices much higher in contrast to existing market price.
• It was unable to control terrorist attacks due to its inefficient security.
• As the company is growing organizational structure become more inefficient.
• There is a great opportunity for Cathay pacific to nurture now as it is struggling uphill to twinkle its brand name by introducing many campaigns .Its important campaigns include "it’s the little things that move you", "Great service, great people, and Great fares" and "Meet the team". These all campaigns contribute a lot to aware people about healthy, recent services of Cathay pacific, its aims and innovations and also provide the people with the opportunity to meet some of its staff members (Boeing, 1998).
• It is definitely expected to excel a lot as it about to develop a new cargo in accordance with current market situation by mid- 2013 in collaboration to an agreement with HKAA (Airport authority Hong Kong.
• It has also developed two loyalty programs which are leading it on the road to success. These include The Marco Polo Club and Asia Miles rewarded as the "Best Frequent Flyer Program" in Business Traveler Asia-Pacific Awards.
• It is also trying to improve its brand image via social media means like Face book, Twitter, Flicker and YouTube.
• One of the major threats for Cathay pacific airlines is the rapid growth of competing brands like Singapore, Qatar, Asiana Airlines and many more.
• Cathay pacific is also facing terrorism threats as it has been hijacked and shot down in the past.
• Environmental threats are always present.
• Rapid changes in oil prices.
• Threats of new entrants in the market.
1.The World’s Official 5-Star Airlines™". Airlinequality.com. http://www.airlinequality.com/StarRanking/5star.htm. Retrieved: 19 Feb 2011
2.Boeing (1998). "Boeing and Cathay Pacific Airways Celebrate First 777-300 Delivery". Press release.
3.Akkermans, Joost; Leung, Wendy (2009). "Cathay Pacific’s Tyler doesn’t expect recovery soon". Bloomberg