SWOT Analysis on Consol Energy
Here is a detailed SWOT (Strength, weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) of Consol Energy Inc.
Consol Energy Inc. is an American energy company with specialty in coal and natural gas making, headquartered in the community of Cecil Township, in the South Pointe complex, just outer of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Consol Energy is the head producer of high-BTU bituminous coal in the United States and the U.S.’s largest underground coal mining company (Schwartzel, 2011). As of 2011, Consol had 4.4 billion tons of confirmed assets, mainly in northern and central Appalachia and produced almost 64 million tons of coal in 2010. The company has natural gas reserves totaling 3.7 trillion cu. ft. as of 2011 and employs more than 8,800 people.
• In 2010, Consol Energy had annual revenue of $5.236 billion. Customers for the most part include electric utilities and steel mills in the U.S., but demand from European utilities has increased during the 2000’s.
• Consol Energy was positioned number 428 on the Fortune 500 list in 2011.To support this hard work in methane gas, as well as to develop drawing out and pollution-control technologies, CONSOL maintains a secretive research and development facility.
• With George W. Bush assuming the presidency in 2001, CONSOL projected the new administration to be receptive to the ideas put forward by energy companies, particularly in fossil fuel producers.
• September 2009, several thousand fishes were killed in Dunkard Creek, West Virginia. The executive department claimed that the killing of fish is due to the mining discharges from the Consol Energy’s Blacksville mine. And it created this condition for golden algae bloom.
• After a long discussion Consol was allowed for further mining after an agreement with the Department of Environmental Protection to submit an application for waste treatment plants by 5th April of 2010.
• Consol invest for about $200 million in a water treatment and pay 5.5 million centralized punishment to the government of U.S. Department of justice and other half to the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection in 2011.
• The company kept upholds that it was never found answerable for the fish kill.
• The company is running an overturn osmosis water sanitizing plant and has a less interest in a company that build up a solar powered water cleaning procedure.
• Consol also keeps the Fairmont Supply Company, devoted to the sale and distribution of with drawl and for apparatus.
• In addition to that, this company operates the major privately owned research and development availability in the industry, which is utterly dedicated to the coal and in the consumption of energy and construction.
• After the fish killing case, they should be careful. Cause if they did again they might get charge by the state government.
• If Consol Energy were to drop its natural, dependable image, it might not know how to keep sufficient of the marketplace to continue to exist.
• Funding Universe. (2012). Website: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/consol-energy-inc-history/ Retrieved: 28th Oct, 2012
• Schwartzel, Erich (2011). Coal’s Power: Coal energy output outstrips gas, nuclear combined. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
• Yahoo Finance/Consol Enrgy. (2012). Website: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=CNX Retrieved: 28th Oct, 2012