Dropbox SWOT Analysis
It is mentioned in Dropbox official website that it is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!
Dropbox Inc. was found in 2007 by Drew Houston and Arash Ferdowsi, with the name Y Combinator startup company. Dropbox provides the space to the users for placing the data which can be accessed from anywhere through Internet. It also provide the client software to synchronize the documents and can be accessed anywhere on any computer connected with Internet.
• Innovative service
• Replacement of USB drive
• Easy way to synchronize and access the data
• Commonly used by IT geeks for sharing data
• Strong financials
• Consumer oriented service
• LAN synchronization speed-up the data retrieval
• Client software is available for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X 10.4 and later, Linux. iOS Android, Symbian, BlackBerry OS and MeeGo Harmattan
• One of the major weakness of Dropbox is security of customers data on cloud.
• Offer limited storage for free
• Weak storage and encryption mechanism
• Redistribution rights of contents are not properly defined
• Focus on corporate customer to get paid accounts
• Integration with social networks
• Facing competition from Google Drive, SkyDrive, SugarSync, and others.
• Privacy issues
• Breaching of customers information